香草传媒

The High School Student News Site of The American School in London

香草传媒

香草传媒

Check out our latest issue
Subscribe
Loading
Instagram

Lewis Hamilton鈥檚 move to Ferrari sparks mixed reactions

Laila Taraporevala
Students react to Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton moving to Ferrari for the 2025 season. Hamilton’s leave was announced Feb. 1.

When Konstantinos Dalglish (鈥26) heard that Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton would be moving from Mercedes to Ferrari, his reaction was immediate: 鈥淚 couldn鈥檛 believe what I was reading.鈥 Ferrari announced that Hamilton, a six-time world champion, would be racing for them in the 2025 season Feb. 1.

Hamilton’s move sparked outrage among many Formula One fans, however, Celia Carson (鈥25) said she believes the move was a wise decision based on his performance on his current team.

鈥淗amilton moving is great,鈥 Carson said. 鈥淚 think it’s a good move because he’s a really good driver, and I feel like he hasn’t really been served justice at Mercedes.鈥

Swim coach Apostolos Mitrakos said he hopes Hamilton’s move will bring Ferrari more luck in the 2025 season.

鈥淚’m really excited about the move,鈥 Mitrakos said. 鈥淚 have been a fan of Ferrari for a long time. The last 30, 40 years we have done so badly, we鈥檝e seen so many directors, and I think Hamilton can help us to get better and help also in improving the car to the new regulations in 2026.鈥

While Matteo Salloum (鈥24) agrees with Carson, he said the shift reflected a stagnation in Mercedes鈥 manufacturing.

鈥淟ewis鈥檚 move means that Lewis was not confident in Mercedes’ ability to continue producing high-level cars, similar to the cars he had throughout the 2010s,鈥 Salloum said.

In the manufacturing process, Ferrari chose to make their car more balanced on both axles, while Mercedes adopted a medium downforce rear wing to reduce drag as much as possible, according to . These marginal differences in development are ultimately what decides races in Formula 1.

Dalglish said he disagrees with Hamilton’s choice to leave Mercedes.

鈥淣obody would expect him to go to move Ferrari of all teams because they’re not exactly known for their high-quality work,鈥 Dalglish said.

Hamilton’s move will leave Mercedes with an open seat for 2025, leaving his teammate George Russell as Mercedes鈥 only driver. On the Ferrari team, Carlos Sainz will lose his seat to Hamilton.

Formula One fan Luca Filippa (鈥26) said the move was unfair to Sainz.

鈥淚t’s unfortunate,鈥 Filippa said. 鈥淚 liked him a lot as a driver and he was the only one who really had a chance against Red Bull. I hope he goes somewhere else where he can find success, maybe Mercedes.鈥

In the 2023 season, fans saw Red Bull racer Max Verstappen win the majority of the races and thus, many are eager to see another driver compete with Verstappen Looking ahead, Salloum said Hamilton鈥檚 move will have a minimal impact on racing dynamics for the 2024 Formula One season.

鈥淚 think we might see a Ferrari Challenge on the Red Bulls just because Lewis will be in a new car,鈥 Salloum said.

With the 2025 season coming up, Mitrakos said he hopes Hamilton鈥檚 switch will take Verstappen鈥檚 winning streak down.

鈥淚 hope the move will bring more competition,鈥 Mitrakos said. 鈥淚 think they always try to bring some competitive balance in the champion鈥檚 seat because it’s boring to see one or two drivers dominating on one team and then everyone else fighting for the rest.鈥